[BRLTTY] brltty/brlapi on oracle enterprise linux

Donald Raikes don.raikes at oracle.com
Wed Mar 5 12:09:59 EST 2008

Hello everyone,
I need to install and use oracle enterprise linux 5.0 for some of my accessibility testing for Oracle.

I have a braillified installer cd for el5, but once installed, I am having problems getting brltty installed.
I downloaded the brltty-3.9-1.i386.rpm and tried to install that, but it is missing a dependency on libspeechd.so.

My next step was to checkout brltty from subversion and compile it. Everything compiles fine, but when I check to see if python can access the brlapi (so I can get braille in orca), it doesn't find the brlapi module.

The configure command I used was:

./configure --enable-brlapi --enable-python-bindings

Any suggestions would be appreciated.