[BRLTTY] Braille input?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Mar 9 04:06:48 EDT 2008

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> [quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2008/03/08 at 18:24 +0100]
>
>>What if we add a very short blip like sound that gets played if braille input
>>does not go through the translation table and is not sent to an API client?
>
> Perhaps. What about if the display had to offer a "shift" key which must be
> held down while typing braille patterns? That'd be okay for short braille
> sequences but would probably be too inconvenient for long ones.

I am leaning more towards "probably to inconvenient", especially if you are
trying to type 8-dot braille.

> On a related note, do you think the core should also implement navigation
> mode for a braille keyboard so that each driver doesn't need to do
> it individually?

I am not sure this is really feasable, given that some of our
current default bindings are pretty optimized on an ergonomic
level, and some drivers probably try to keep a minimum level of
compatibility to the windows default bindings of that display...
What drivers are those, actually.  I've been using th plural form, but
now that I think of it, I only know about the HandyTech displays,
which have a 8-dot braille + 2 space bars layout.
What other displays are there, and do they have similarities in how they do
navigation mode on the 8 dots?

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'