[BRLTTY] Speech-dispatcher crashes when encounteringsemi-graphical characters

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Mar 24 08:30:10 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Hermann on 2008/03/24 at 11:11 +0100]

>I tested the same with another SD module, and it must be indeed a problem with SD and the Espeak module. Switching to
>Espeak-generic works.
>However: This happens only in brltty with SD, all other apps I use with SD are OK (SBL, Speakup, Yasr and speechd-el,
>the interface to Emacs). So I think the brltty team should have some thoughts about this too.

Someone also reported that orca in conjunction with Gnome-terminal causes the
SD crash. One common property between brltty and orca is that both work with
Unicode whereas my guess is that the other applications work with the host
character set. Since the screen font can contain up to 512 characters whereas
the host character set typically only contain 256, it's possible that
unicod-based
screen readers are sending characters to SD which are filtered by the other
applications. It seems, therefore, that sd->espeak is tripping over characters
that it isn't prepared to handle.