[BRLTTY] How to refer to a USB to serial adapter?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Mar 27 08:52:50 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Hermann on 2008/03/27 at 10:17 +0100]

>Try the following:
>brltty -d ttyUSB0

Yes, and the fully qualified way would be (without the quotes)
"serial:ttyUSB0". When a USB->Serial adapter is being used, the Linux kernel
creates the serial device ttyUSB0. Then brltty needs to be told to use serial
support and which serial device to use.

>And BTW.: There seems to be a bug in the brltty.conf file:
>braille-device usb:nnnnn
>does not work. If I've understood the comment well, one has to write:
>braille-device usb:ttyS0
>in order to use a USB2Serial adapter on S0. But this doesn't start up the braille display.

No, this is a misunderstanding. Specifying the "usb:" qualifier tells brltty to
use USB support, not serial support, whereas the use of a USB->Serial adaptor
requires serial support. The "nnnnn" is optional, and, if present, must be the
USB serial number of the display. If the USB serial number isn't specified then
the first display which matches the selected driver is assumed.