[BRLTTY] Braille tables versus contraction tables.

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Thu May 1 05:47:25 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 02:23:06PM +0200, Mario Lang wrote:
> We could probably invent an opcode to enable/disable this
> behaviour per table?

Yes, or it could be a BRLTTY option independent of the table, but having it as
part of the table should in most circumstances be what people need. If an op
code were added, you should coordinate this with John Boyer, I think, as we
don't want BRLTTY and liblouis to diverge in incompatible ways if this can be
avoided.

Another possibility would be to keep the user's word-breaking preferences in
whatever configuration file (BRLTTY preferences, for example) holds the list
of preferred tables. It would just be an extra field of the structure along
with the table name.

This is drifting off-topic for this thread, and I haven't looked at the code
recently, but is the BRLTTY preferences file stored in a format that is
guaranteed to be independent of byte order and word size? If not, I think it
should be replaced by a textual format, which would also reinforce the Unix
convention that configuration files, including those in a user's home
directory, are text files rather than binary.

The cost would be negligible CPU usage in writing and parsing the text file.