[BRLTTY] [Fwd: No braille support when using Alva Satellite viaUSB (protocol)]

Thijs Koerselman thijskoerselman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 05:23:48 EDT 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:

> [quoted lines by Thijs Koerselman on 2008/10/31 at 23:11 +0100]
>
> >My tests so far were all using USB->COM adapters, since I don't have
> >computers around that still have real COM ports.
>
> Were you using the Alva's own serial cable or one of your own? I ask
> because
> there are many types of serial cable, e.g. with or without control lines,
> straight-through or null-modem, etc.

On one of them I used a serial cable that is supposed to belong with the
Alva display, and I guess they know that it works since they use it for
other projects successfully (with JAWS and such).

The other one I've only used the serial cable that was part of the
USB->Serial converter. The cable is short, but I've extended the USB side of
it, not the serial port. I used a serial gender changer plug in between
since both the cable and the display had male connectors.

This is the USB->serial converter:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sitecom-CN-104-Serial-adapter/dp/B00066HK1A

Thijs