[BRLTTY] Question about brltty on windows and operation withother screen readers

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Nov 2 05:34:53 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 14:47 +1000, James Teh wrote:
> On 2/11/2008 8:50 AM, Michael Whapples wrote:
> > The ALVA 544t has a physical serial port and my laptop has a serial port, so
> > I could use brltty through serial and window-eyes through USB
> You should be able to use both BRLTTY and Window Eyes via serial. BRLTTY
> does correctly release the device when not in use; the releasing problem
> is only related to libusb-win32 as far as I know.
OK, I could do that, although I do still need the physical USB
connection for power if I wish to be mains free and I just thought it
may be better to make them use separate resources to reduce the chance
of any clash to a minimum.

> Do you know how the Alva Windows drivers work? Do they expose an
> emulated serial port or is there some sort of API?
I don't know how the official ALVA drivers work. Would they show another
serial port in device manager if they emulated a serial port? I think it
probably is an API as to install them with some screen readers you need
to copy a particular dll into the screen readers driver directory. How
would I go about finding the API for the native driver.

Michael Whapples