[BRLTTY] 3.10-4 not as demurely in the background as it should be

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Tue Nov 4 10:06:36 EST 2008

Hi folks,

I'm not sure whether we're supposed to switch to 3.10-x or if that's a
special debug version. I'll switch if that's advisable.

3.10-4 is running in a command prompt. I did not exit the prompt window and
things seem to be OK in other Windows so far.

Besides the command prompt I also have Cygwin active using the same instance
of brltty. Cygwin is set to put Jaws braille to sleep when it gains control
and, somewhat less reliably, let Jaws braille wake up when a non-console app
gets control.

With 3.10-4 whenever Jaws braille wakes up, brltty spits out 3 identical
error messages in Cygwin. The first is wherever the cursor happens to be
(such as on the line with $PS1) and the other two are on the lines
immediately below it. The message is:

brltty.exe: cannot open serial device: com1: Resource temporarily
unavailable

I'm not sure the same error appears in the command prompt, even though it's
the window that started brltty. I made a mistake and switched to that window
when Jaws was still running and got loads of those messages, but Jaws
braille is not set to go to sleep in the command prompt so that's not
surprising. I tried terminating Jaws, going to and from the command prompt,
and starting Jaws again, and did not get the error that time. Whether that
can be relied on I don't know.

HTH,

--

Lee Maschmeyer