[BRLTTY] Using some of the text cells as status cells.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Nov 12 07:46:07 EST 2008

[quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2008/11/12 at 12:39 +0100]

>My initial idea goes the other way round, what about autoselecting a style
>with a size that can fit based on the Status count setting?

Maybe that's what generic should do.

>But now that I think of it, Status Count 0 is really a mute
>option since its basically the same as Status Position None.
>So we might indeed overload 0 with autofit style size...

I went ahead and did it yesterday.

>> I'm also wondering what to do with the Generic style. We could just ignore
>> it, or we could invent something useful for it. One thing we could
>> do, for example, is start with the most important cell (perhaps line
>> number of braille window), and move to progressively less important
>> pieces of information. Then the user could set the count as needed
>> for how much he wants to know. Just an idea to stimulate thought.
>
>That is probably a bit too unflexible to be useful in reality because
>it wouldn't allow the user to define "compression" methods like
>the "write digits above each other" trick.  And especially for
>flags like we have a lot of, the "merge into dots of a cell" thing
>that the Tieman style does is probably what the user wants.

I was thinking of using the digits above each other, as well as the dots in a
cell flag thing, in this form for all numbers so that each cell would add an
additional atomic piece of information. If we go that route then we just need
to define the cell order.

--
Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | The Bible is the Word of God.
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | May 21, 2011, is Judgement Day.