[BRLTTY] [brltty] braille in ubuntu

aerospace1028 at hotmail.com aerospace1028 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 15:39:57 EST 2008

greetings,
Back in July, I upgraded my linux machine from Ubuntu (7.10) to Ubuntu (8.04).  When I was running Ubuntu7.10, Braille worked well.  Now that I have upgraded, I cannot get Braille to work at all.

I am using a BrailleNote classic.  Currently, I am running Ubuntu on my desktop, but once I can get the Braille working, I want to install Ubuntu onto my day-to-day machine--a laptop.  The BrailleNote only has a serial connection, and the laptop only has a USB.  I have a USB-serial bridge.  I have used the bridge successfully with Windows.

When I had Ubuntu7.10 installed, brltty worked well with the serial-serial connection.  Now with Ubuntu 8.04, I cannot get brltty to work with either the plain serial link or through the USB-bridge.

I used my laptop and the Ubuntu8.04 liveCD (the desktop is not connected to the internet) to download the latest .deb packages for brltty and brlapi and transfer them to the desktop, but Braille still will not work.

When I type "sudo brltty" I get the message "rev unknown http://brltty.mielke.cc."

I have even tried connecting the Braillenote to my laptop while running the liveCD and running brltty, but I get the same message.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?