[BRLTTY] Windows version - Brltty and Jaws sharing a port

James Teh jamie at jantrid.net
Tue Nov 25 06:34:49 EST 2008

On 25/11/2008 7:44 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Well, another way would be to set the brltty service to not start
> automatically (could be an installation option), and have NVDA
> start/stop it itself.  James, what do you think?
I'm pretty against this option for two reasons:
* Starting a service requires administrative privileges. NVDA may not
necessarily be running with such privileges. Indeed, under Vista, NVDA
will *never* run with admin privs.
* This is contrary to the main philosophy/design of BRLTTY/BRLAPI, which
is a server/service to which clients can connect. As I understand it,
this is one of the main justifications for BRLAPI's design in the first
place; i.e. its integration into BRLTTY.

--
James Teh
Email/MSN Messenger/Jabber: jamie at jantrid.net
Web site: http://www.jantrid.net/