[BRLTTY] key echo in SD output not speaking

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Nov 26 11:24:15 EST 2008

[quoted lines by Jan Buchal on 2008/11/23 at 12:25 +0100]

>I upgrade on latest svn version of brltty just now and configure my
>brltty for SD output. Lines are spoken but key echo is silence.
>Where can be a problem?

Key echo is done differently than line speaking in a way which is supposed to
ensure that characters which may normally be unspoken, e.g. a space, are always
spoken. It may be, however, that older drivers don't understand this mechanism.
Please, therefore, ensure that you're using the latest version of whatever you
use to actually produce the speech. What I can tell you for sure is that what I
myslef test with, i.e. Speech Dispatcher 0.6.7 and Festival Lite 1.2, does
work.