[BRLTTY] New brltty 3.10 windows build

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Thu Oct 23 11:11:46 EDT 2008

I can't give a precise test right now because when it messes up I have to
reboot and it's long past time for me to do the work my boss thinks I'm
doing. But as I remember:

>From an unmodified 3.10-2 install, I shut down Cygwin and its brltty,
changed to the bin directory, shut down Jaws and typed:

brltty /b al /d com1

When that didn't work I rebooted, did all the preceding steps and tried it
again as "/bal /dcom1".

As to the exact errors I can't tell right now. Sometimes I'd get a
continuous loop containing the banner, something like "/b invalid command,
/d invalid command, excess parameter -n". When I started brltty in Cygwin
and changed to the console window to see what was going on, everybody got
mad. Either that or I was able to see the loop mentioned before.

Later this afternoon or tomorrow I might be able to do a more definitive
test. This is on Windows XP SP3.

Speaking of when Jaws still has the device, shouldn't this be benign? It
seems to me that brltty should remain in the background, trying every couple
seconds to see if the device is free and staying quiet if it isn't. Perhaps
stderr is going to the braille display when it shouldn't?

--

Lee Maschmeyer
Wayne State University