[BRLTTY] Brltty blocks Orca functions when using keypad.ktb or desktop.ktb

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Feb 17 11:07:38 EST 2009

Hermann <meinelisten at onlinehome.de> writes:

> a few hours ago I installed Gnome and Orca on my machine.
> After starting Orca with the desktop layout, I had to realize that Some
> key bindings in Orca were blocked, as long as one of the mentioned key
> tables is active.

> Can anyone confirm this?

This is, naturally, expected behaviour.  If youu bind a key combination
in BRLTTY, you can not expect another user-space application to be able
use that same key combination.  We have put some code in place
to handle many situations where key combinations overlap but don't
match exactly in a proper way.  But if you dobule-bind a key combination,
it is kind of obvious that you can't expect both apps to see them
at the same time.

> Is there a way to prevent Brltty from using key table functions when
> in an Xwindow?

We could, as Samuel and I already suggested in different ways,
either disable key sniffing while the current console is in graphics mode,
or disable key sniffing while a BrlAPI client has taken control over the
current TTY.

Note that this is one reason why I felt pretty strongly about not
enabling key tables by default just yet.  This feature, as cool as it is,
needs more testing and thought before it should be enabled by default.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'