[BRLTTY] BRLTTY / Speech-Dispatcher: What happens when there is no braille display available?

Hermann meinelisten at onlinehome.de
Fri Feb 20 06:10:28 EST 2009

On 20.02.2009 at 11:30:46 Emrah <eka at ekanet.net> wrote:

> Hello hello,
>
> 	I'm very happy with my current brltty + sd setup... The only thing now is that I have a new ultra laptop and I would
> like to know if there is any possibility to use BRLTTY with no braille display? The purpose would be to just boot the laptop and
> have it immediately talking via Speech-Dispatcher.

Just tested it, and there's no chance without a braille display.
Note: Brltty is designed to work as a braille program, and speech
support is additional. Till now it does not work on its own.

> If you know another screenreader that can do the job and that does not impose a whole environment change it's fine for me.

What Linux is on your laptop? Maybe it is compiled with speakup
To check type:
modprobe -l speakup*
If no result, then it is not there.
You might use either Yasr or SBL as screenreader.
http://yasr.sourceforge.net
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/marco/openSUSE_Factory/src/
The first one is speech only, the latter can be used with braille and/or
speech.
Hermann