[BRLTTY] Fwd: Orca crash with grade 2 and latest versions of brltty and liblouis

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Jul 2 17:58:42 EDT 2009

Willie Walker, le Thu 02 Jul 2009 15:29:45 -0400, a écrit :
> 1) Orca uses liblouis for contracted braille: it makes liblouis calls
> and then calls the BrlAPI write(writeStruct) method using the translated
> string.

What does liblouis output?  UTF-8 braille patterns?  8bit braille
patterns?

> I tried wrapping Orca's call to 'write' in a try/except clause, but it
> appears as though the Python bindings for BrlAPI do not bubble up
> exceptions.

Ah, right, here it's not synchronously reported as write are not
synchronous for efficiency.

> Instead, BrlAPI has a default exception handler that calls
> abort() and takes down the entire Python machine with it.

Yes, it will happen during any brlapi calls which happens to notice that
the server has sent the exception packet (brlapi exception, not python
exception).

> BrlAPI provides a brlapi_setExceptionHandler method, but I'm not sure
> how to get to it from Python.  Can you BrlTTY folks offer some guidance?

We haven't implemented anything for this yet.  The issue is being able
to call python code from the C code, I don't know how this is allowed to
be done.

Samuel