[BRLTTY] adding bison+byacc Was:Re:trial with much more options Was:Re: precision regarding brltty 4 doesn't compile: make stops...

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sat Jul 4 10:31:54 EDT 2009

Labrador, le Sat 04 Jul 2009 16:21:49 +0200, a écrit :
> > If you could be slightly more patient, that could help. Also, apt-cache
> > search yacc
>
> ...doesnt give any pertinent answer but lots of package names:

It does give pertinent answers.

> (and as you see lots of them doen't match at all with what we were looking
> for)

They do. But you can select a bit more by adding one more grep:

€ apt-cache search yacc | grep -i yacc
btyacc - Backtracking parser generator based on byacc
kimwitu - Compiler development tool, complementary to lex and yacc
perl-byacc - The Berkeley LALR parser generator, Perl version
bison - A parser generator that is compatible with YACC
byacc - public domain Berkeley LALR Yacc parser generator
cl-yacc - parser generator for Common Lisp
ml-yacc - Parser generator for Standard ML
python-ply - Lex and Yacc implementation for Python
python-ply-doc - Lex and Yacc implementation for Python

How one can miss bison and byacc here?

> >or apt-get build-dep brltty would have told you bison was a
> > solution.
>
> Sorry this isn't IMHO a good way to know what to add since it will add 122
> extra packages;

And so what?  Disk space is cheap nowadays.

> if so than why not installing all the thousands of -dev packages ?

Because that would be thousands, not the few 122 packages mentioned
above.  Either you know how to sort out build dependencies, and you
don't seem to, or you use a simple solution (build-dep).

Samuel