[BRLTTY] KVM, Qemu and BRLTTY

mattias mj at mjw.se
Fri Jul 17 11:38:01 EDT 2009

Thanks
Hope the same are for qemu

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: brltty-bounces at mielke.cc [mailto:brltty-bounces at mielke.cc] För
Jason White
Skickat: den 17 juli 2009 08:29
Till: brltty at mielke.cc
Ämne: Re: [BRLTTY] KVM, Qemu and BRLTTY

I have it working now. For others who are interested, using my GRML64
ISO
image:

kvm -cdrom grml64_2008.11.iso -m 512 -boot d -curses -show-cursor gave
the best results. I haven't tested the BRLAPI support, but I plan to do
so. The above command reserves 512mb of RAM, which I can afford to do on
a machine with 4gb installed.

Typing F3 gives an ISOLinux boot prompt, at which point typing "nofb"
(without the quotation marks, of course) boots the GRML image without
activating the Linux framebuffer.

I discovered that I needed to load the kvm kernel module while booting
my host machine, otherwise the guest system would hang during its boot
process - just loading kvm-intel after the host machine was up and
running wasn't sufficient.

If you're using an AMD CPU, you need to load the kvm-amd module.

The next step is to add a virtual disk and install an operating system
to it, as is well documented on the Web.

At least with a 2.6.29 kernel under Debian, KVM worked for me.