[BRLTTY] introductions and queries

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jul 18 22:13:17 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by Zachary Kline on 2009/07/18 at 15:06 -0700]

>I've recently decided to get a Braille display, and am contemplating the
>APH refreshabraille.  I've had good results with the other APH products
>I've used, and was gratified to find support for this in brltty.
>That being said, are there any issues or quirks I should be aware of
>when fiddling with this display?  It'll be my first real exposure to
>such a unit.
>Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

The Refreshabraille is indeed a very nice and well-designed device. It has only
18 cells, though. This may ultimately be smaller than you'd prefer. It's always
a trade-off between size and cost, though, and only you can make an informed
decision on that insofar as your own needs and circumstances are concerned.

There's another point to consider as well. The Refreshabraille essentially has
a braille keyboard (eight dots and a spacebar) and a five-way joystick. It
also, of course, has cursor routing keys. Brltty currently interprets the
braille keyboard as exactly that, and the joystick in terms of the four arrow
keys and the enter key. This is because that's what works best with the Icon
and the Braille+ PDAs. This way of interpreting the keys, however, doesn't work
well in terms of screen navigation. It's my intention to find a way to resolve
this problem, but that hasn't been done yet. I'll probably get to it within the
next month or so.

As I said at the outset, though, it is a good device. It's just that brltty
support for it is brand new, and there are still a few things that need to be
done in order to make it work well with respect to screen navigation.