[BRLTTY] Swift compilation error with gcc-4.4

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu May 14 06:17:24 EDT 2009

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Mario Lang, le Thu 14 May 2009 09:28:44 +0200, a écrit :
>> The use of C++ comes from this Makefile.in fragment in
>> Drivers/Speech/Swift:
>>
>> speech.$O:
>> 	$(CXX) $(SPK_CXXFLAGS) -I$(SWIFT_ROOT)/include -c $(SRC_DIR)/speech.c
>
> Oh, ok.  Is there really a reason for compiling in c++ mode here?

The only reason I can think of is that this was probably once
changed due to linking issues?  AFAICS, the swift headers
are for C, so I dont see a reason why CXX is used here.

> I haven't seen C++ code in there.  What happens on my machine is that
> it just uses gcc-4.4, which compiles the .c in C mode.
Hmm?  Did you set CXX to gcc-4.4?

>> > how are you setting it?  linking gcc, or CC=gcc-4.4 ./configure, or
>> > something else?
>>
>> As explained in my original posting, I use
>> CC=gcc-4.4 CXX=g++-4.4 ./configure
>
> Ok, now I'm getting it.  A colleague told me that there actually is no
> way to make g++ accept .name=content initializers.  Could you check that
> CXX=gcc-4.4 compiles it just fine (i.e. we can just compile it in C mode)?

Yes, using gcc-4.4 instead of g++-4.4 work just fine, however, I
haven't tested if it actually works at runtime now...

Dave, do you remember why we put in CXX in that makefile?
If there is no special reason, its probably a bug and should be changed
to CC.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'