[BRLTTY] stty and ofill

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Oct 1 09:03:14 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by james collins on 2009/10/01 at 08:54 -0400]

>So if I open a shell and then set the stty parameters when I hit
>return the changes I made wouldn't be in effect if I went to use my
>serial device? Like if I tried the following:

They may still be in effect, or they may not, depending on the platform you're
on.

>$ stty ofill nl1 (or whataver the correct command is)
>$ cat > /dev/cu.usbserial-FTKVMAFF

I think you missed something I said. stty acts on whichever serial device is
attached to its standard input. If you want to change the settings of the
serial port to which your synthesizer is connected then you must redirect
stty's standard input to that device. In other words, you need to do it like
this:

   stty ofill nl1 </dev/cu.usbserial-FTKVMAFF