[BRLTTY] building brlapi for Android (ARM processor)

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Apr 6 16:09:57 EDT 2010

[quoted lines by Shiri Azenkot on 2010/04/06 at 12:47 -0700]

>I think it is possible to use a cross compiler and linker to
>build libbrlapi (ie generate a .so file) and skip to step 3. This seems like
>the simplest and most robust way to continue.
>How can we modify the current brltty make files to use a different compiler
>and linker?

The usual way is to set the CC (uppercase) environment variable when
configuring. So:

   CC=gcc-android ./configure

If you need to pass in compile options, you can do that via CFLAGS.

>It would be great if we can get brltty working on Android!

This should indeed be possible.

> Hmmm. I want my Android app to output to the Braille notetaker. Don't I
>need the driver for the particular notetaker to do this? Doesn't the api use
>the driver to interact with a Braille notetaker?

BrlAPI, i.e. libbrlapi, communicates over a socket (local or TCP/IP) to brltty,
which implements the server end of BrlAPI. So what you need to do is to build
and run brltty as well.

>KUOW the public radio station? Google tells me it is still around, although
>I haven't listened to it :)

I used to listen to it sometimes back in the '70s when I lived in Vancouver
(Canada, not Washington).

>Anyway, looking forward to working with you and getting this to work! I
>think there's a lot we can do on the Android platform.

I'm sure it's possible.