[BRLTTY] eurobraille driver: bug in serial stuff?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Feb 25 09:35:55 EST 2010

[quoted lines by Yannick PLASSIARD on 2010/02/25 at 15:19 +0100]

>Due to the fact that my code calls serialReadData() each time it needs
>some data and then reassembles itself a packet. In this situation would
>it be "correct" to tell serialReadData() not to wait for any
>initial/subsequent timeouts ? I investigated and it seems brltty will
>not burn some extra CPU/memory usage and it suppesses the log warning.

you should really only read one byte at a time. You should wait for that byte
if it's not the first byte of a packet but you should not wait for it if it is
the first byte of a packet. You can set the wait timeout fairly high when
waiting for a non-first byte since you fully expect it to arrive so there's no
point in setting the itmeout too low and risking missing it.