[BRLTTY] ALVA BC640 with BRLTTY

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Mar 3 16:09:46 EST 2010

[quoted lines by Teemu M Kuusisto on 2010/03/03 at 22:14 +0200]

>I am currently testing this ALVA BC640 display with BRLTTY. I am able
>to connect it via USB and Bluetooth with no problems. But when I add
>the feature pack to the display, the bluetooth connection is not
>working any more. I don't know where the problem is, but thought it
>would be as follows: When the feature pack is connected to the
>display, there is more bluetooth services available. Is BRLTTY
>unavailable to choose the right service or channel at this point?

It just uses the serial profile. Could you please send me the output from
sdptool browse with and without the feature pack connected?

The only complication I can imagine, which really shouldn't be the case, is
that the channel for the serial profile changes.

Is it possible that the actual Bluetooth Device Address changes? In other
words, is it possible that the serial profile needs to be accessed through the
BDA of the feature pack? Perhaps you should send me the output of sdptool
browse for both BDAs.

>Additionally, is it possible to change the key table for this ALVA
>driver?

Yes, it's easy to do. Look in brl-al-bc.ktb (.ktb is used for key tables).

>I am not satisfied with the curren key mappings. Three of
>four smartpad buttons are used to help, command learning mode and
>settings menu, for example. These functions are not used as usual as
>'go to first line' or 'go to last line'.

I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement. Please share your ideas for
better bindings. The current ease of access to help,learn,etc was to make them
easy to discover for new users, but maybe that's not a good idea in the long
run.