[BRLTTY] BrailleNote Apex USB

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Wed Sep 15 02:14:28 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Does anybody have information regarding Linux support of BrailleNote Apex?  Internally, the Apex uses a USB-to-serial interface of factory origin, over which the BrailleNote protocol runs.  Right now, I'm using my Apex with a (provided) USB-to-serial adapter, i.e., giving BrailleNote a legacy serial interface over which standard serial line protocol runs on an RS232 cable connected to my Linux machine.  But not all machines nowadays have serial ports, so sooner or later this is going to become a concern for some aspiring Apex user, or performance.

I run OS X in my other time.  OS X includes a driver for this interface.  I don't see why I couldn't be of some help in the future, with the right tools.  Of course, it's always better from the horse's mouth.

Cheers,
Sabahattin