[BRLTTY] BRLTTY on Windows

Øyvind Lode oyvind.lode at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 05:46:00 EDT 2010

On 25.09.2010 23:25, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Øyvind Lode, le Sat 25 Sep 2010 23:14:44 +0200, a écrit :
>> I use a Papenmeier Braillex EL 80s display connected via USB.
>> I have the Papenmeier drivers installed and currently use it with JFW on
>> Windows 7 64-bit.
>>
>> Will I be able to use BRLTTY 4.2.3 on Windows 7 64-bit?
>
> Brltty should work fine, yes. Please report any issue with it.
>
>> Can I have both BRLTTY and the Papenmeier driver installed at the same time?
>
> It depends on how the Papenmeir driver works. Since it's proprietary we
> can't say anything but what users report, so please try and tell us.

I installed brltty 4.2.3 and selected PM for Papenmeier.
In the port list I can choose between USB and Com 1 through Com 16.
I assume this means that the Papenmeier driver don't provide any virtual
ports?

> If the driver provides a virtual COM port that BRLTTY could use, then
> it should be just fine, don't tell BRLTTY to install any USB driver or
> filter and just use the COM port.
>
> If it doesn't, then you may try to install the libusb-win32 filter
> and see whether stopping JFW before starting BRLTTY works. I has been
> reported that previous versions of the libusb-win32 filter makes windows
> 7 64bit hang, but recent versions should fix this. Again, please try and
> report: as none of us has windows7, we can't test ourselves.

I selected USB from the port list and installed libusb-filter.

Disaster!
The libusb-filter completely broke usb on my Windows 7 machine.
No keyboard, no mouse, no Braille display, no scanner etc...

I'm now up and running again after instructing a sighted person to boot
into "The last known good configuration" on the advanced boot options menu.
Removed the libusb-filter and rebooted.
All ok.

I am not going to try the filter again :)