[BRLTTY] chicken and egg situation

David Pankhurst dave at pankhurst.com
Wed Aug 10 05:24:21 EDT 2011

Hello - I have a question about developing Braille readers - how does
one start?  It seems that without the device, there can be no driver,
but without the driver, how can one design/test/configure the device?
For example, if I was to develop a new Braille device, what could I
do personally to set up a test bed to connect to a reader (for
example, NVDA under Windows)? And how could I take it far enough to
be real driver for brltty? One thought would be the creation of a
generic 'superdriver' with all the best/ultimate features of the
different readers, and which a new device may pick settings from like
a menu - is that possible? Any help would be appreciated.