[BRLTTY] Interfacing newly made Braille reader to BRLTTY

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sun Jul 3 12:23:20 EDT 2011

Hello,

Sorry for having taken so long before adding a word on this.

Umesh Bale, le Thu 26 May 2011 17:27:06 +0530, a écrit :
> I am Umesh Bale, working as Senior Development Engineer  in ACE Infotech, an
> organization from India. We have developed a Refreshable Braille Reader using
> piezo-electric Braille Cells,   for visually challanged person.

Great !

You may want to have a look at the following websites, which are
similar projects, from oldest to most recent:

http://www.vt100.at/?site=braille
http://2010.rmll.info/Toward-a-free-braille-device.html?lang=en
http://brl.thefreecat.org/wiki/FreeBrailleDisplay
http://www.kaekus.org/
http://2011.rmll.info/Peripherique-braille-libre?lang=en

Do you have a website for your project?

> Till now no Braille protocol implemented inside this Braille reader. And I dont
> know anything about this Braille protocol.
> We will be grateful for all the help you can extend to us in this task.

As already said on the list, you're free to invent your own protocol,
implementing it in BRLTTY is a matter of adding another driver in
Drivers/Braille/, we can do that if you give us the specifications of
your protocol.

That being said, to get compatible with other existing screen readers,
it might be interesting to re-use an existing, widely used protocol.

Samuel