[BRLTTY] Contracted braille and current word

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 15 15:26:59 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 01:14:42PM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2011/06/15 at 08:26 -0400]
>
> >On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 09:30:51AM +0200, Sebastian Humenda wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> is it possible to enable the contraction of the whole line, even for the
> >> word where the cursor is placed? For continuous reading this is more
> >> convenient than having a not-contracted word.
> >
> >Boy would I love to see this capability added. It could be a switch in
> >the config file since I'd never turn it off.
>
> Should it simply be a two-choice setting for if the current word is
> contracted or not, or should it be a contraction mode setting with several
> choices? If the latter, what other useful modes can you think of?

One thing I've been thinking of for awhile is the 6/8 dot
switching. Would this work:

If you push it once it toggles between 6 and 8 does as it does now.

If you push it twice quickly it goes to 6 dots without contraction.

Then add a toggle in the config file that means:

If contractions are on, expand the current word.

This switch would have to be available all the time I think, so I can
permanently set it to not expand the word and whenever I go into
contracted mode the word won't be expanded. This is how I have Jaws
set and have found little trouble counting letters as I arrow across a
contraction.

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll