[BRLTTY] Interfacing newly made Braille reader to BRLTTY

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Fri May 27 09:06:12 EDT 2011

Umesh Bale <braillemitra at aceinfotech.biz> writes:

> I am requesting to all of you to let me know what steps are to be followed
> to interface this device to BRLTTY.

A new driver module has to be implemented.
The Drivers/Braille/Skeleton/ drivertory might be a good starting point.

If you devices has dedicated keys on it you should use the
new key-tables mechanism, not the old BRL_HAVE_KEYCODES mechanism.

> We have full control over the internal firmware of the Braille Reader
> since we are the designers of this unit. We have made the unit in
> widths of 40, 32 and 16 Braille character cells.  Till now no Braille
> protocol implemented inside this Braille reader. And I dont know
> anything about this Braille protocol.  We will be grateful for all the
> help you can extend to us in this task.

There is no real standard protocol for braille displays,
manufacturers tend to invent their own custom protocls.

But since I think you are already interfacing your device with a PC,
I think you should already have some sort of initialisation procedure,
and something to write dots to the display, and
receive key presses?  If you describe the currently used
protocol procisely, we might be able to crank out an initial
driver for it.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕