[BRLTTY] BRLTTY and the latex-access project by means of python brlapi module

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Nov 28 13:55:37 EST 2011

[quoted lines by Daniel Dalton on 2011/11/27 at 17:22 +1100]

>I'm working on a project called latex-access:
>http://latex-access.sourceforge.net
>
>The aim of the project is to provide a nemeth translation of latex
>source code into nemeth Braille in real time for mathematical and
>scientific documents written in latex. It also has a speech module which
>converts the latex syntax to English speech for instance \frac{3}{2} = 3
>halves, and 3/2 in nemeth translation.
>
>The project was written for jaws, but I've expanded it for emacs under
>linux. Currently it works by putting the Braille translation in a
>separate emacs window next to the source buffer.
>
>However, the point of this email is to discuss the potential of
>using BRLTTY directly to show the translation.

What do you think of approaching your Nemeth translator as though it were a
contraction table. Brltty could recognize if a contraction table is executable
or not. If it's executable then brltty could run the contraction programi n the
background, write to it an uncontracted line (in your case, latex source), and
read back from it a contracted line (in your case, Nemeth). Would this concept
meet your needs?

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.