[BRLTTY] [SPAM] Re: Alva BC640 question

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Sep 20 21:19:34 EDT 2011

Tom Masterson <kd7cyu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anyway is there an easy way to set it up so the dev version of
> brltty can be put in a debian package so it just replaces my current
> copy without having to move everything around by hand?

This is possible, but in my experience, it is better to have a development
version and a released version on the system together. If there's a
problem with the developmental code, you can just run /sbin/brltty (i.e., the released and packaged version) and get a working braille display again, without having to carry out a package installation.

Think carefully about what you would have to type if suddenly the development
version of BRLTTY hangs or crashes and you have to log in and get a reliable
version running in order to have access to the system.