[BRLTTY] BRLTTY in GRUB2

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Apr 5 02:48:51 EDT 2012

I'm nearing the end of what I can do until my wchar_t problems are resolved.
Here is an example of the two errors that are occurring.

   warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
   warning: format ‘%.*ls’ expects type ‘wchar_t *’, but argument 4 has type ‘wchar_t *’

The two lines which I coded as simple examples to cause and illustrate these
warnings are:

   wchar_t *ws = L"abc";
   logMessage(LOG_NOTICE, "%.*ls", 3, ws);

In case it matters, remember that I define _WCHAR_T_DECLARED=1 in order to
avoid the wchar_t conflict between grub's and gcc's headers. Perhaps, though,
in order to support format specifier checking and L"string" constants, gcc
still needs to have some kind of built in assumption regarding what a wchar_t
is. Maybe there's an option which enables it to just use the definition it gets
from the headers. I thought -ffreestanding would do this, but maybe it doesn't.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html