[BRLTTY] Character selection from the keypad.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Aug 13 13:10:30 EDT 2012

We Still need to decide how best to make choosing the active character more
flexible when the keypad is being used.  The current method - using the
location of the system cursor - is simple, predictable, and consistent, but, as
has been mentioned, the system cursor can't always be moved to any arbitrary
location on the screen.

We could decide that what we already provide is good enough, and recommend that
people use the screen application's copy mode to place the cursor. While that
works, I myself don't think it's a good enough general solution. It's not only
somewhat cumbersome and requires the use of an additional application, but also
the fact is that the screen application isn't available on all platforms.

We also simply can no longer assume that the user is using a braille device
with routing keys. We may well have speech users who have no choice but to use
the keypad. For them, of course, we absolutely must provide a way for any
character on the screen to be used. We do now have a speech cursor, and, for
them, that'd be the most natural thing to use.

We also have braille-only users who simply prefer, for their own reasons, to
use the keypad for certain character-oriented functions. If that's their
choice, then, unless there's a very good reason not to do so, we should support
their needs.

As always, I welcome suggestions.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html