[BRLTTY] threaded eSpeak driver

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Aug 15 18:11:33 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2012/08/15 at 17:29 -0400]

>This issue can be mitigated greatly by making the eSpeak driver speech
>processing call into a thread of its own. Attached is a patch to make
>the eSpeak driver threaded.

I rather suspect that a more general solution would be better than dealing with
each driver on an individual basis.

>Is this enough to ensure the repeated key problem will never happen
>again?

No, because any otehr speech driver, or even, I suppose, a slow braille device,
could cause the same symptoms.

>Maybe the Linux keyboard filter code would benefit from being
>moved into a thread of its own as well.

Yes, I've often thought that this should be done. I just haven't done it yet.

Are we that the point where we should just assume that Linux has Posix threads,
even in boot environments?

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html