[BRLTTY] threaded eSpeak driver

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Aug 15 20:55:32 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2012/08/15 at 20:36 -0400]

>Speech drivers are somewhat different as they often rely on external
>libraries.  And so far only eSpeak seemed to cause problem.  At least
>that's the only one that generated issue reports.
>
>So this might make sence to move the threading support up a level,
>making it generic to all speech drivers.

Yes, I believe that'd be a good thing to do.

It might be best to run the speech drivers in an entirely different process for
at least two reasons. One is that I've seen a case (ViaVoice, I think) where
the top-level needed to be in the main thread. The other is that we'd then be
protected from any bad external code polluting brltty's address space.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html