[BRLTTY] Using brltty with OpenBSD 5.1

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Aug 26 14:55:31 EDT 2012

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> 2012/8/13, Emanuel Helms <ehelms89 at googlemail.com>:
>> can you tell me how I can use brltty with OpenBSD? I have installed
>> OpenBSD 5.1 AMD64 on my Lenovo notebook. Then I have installed the
>> binary packages of brltty(3.6) and screen-shm. To use my Papenmeier
>> Braillex EL 40s I have configured the example brltty.conf and copied
>> it to /etc/.
>>
>> With the -d argument I have tested out all /dev/cua* and
>> /dev/usb*devices but the brailledisplay doesn't show anything. Also
>> the argument -d usb: does not work. I always started brltty in a
>> screen session.
>
> Well, I don't think there are OpenBSD users here, so you'll be quite on
> your own.

I did the ports tree entry for brltty waaay back in 2004.
Thats why it is still at 3.6, unfortunately.

I am not quite sure regarding USB support, but I vaguely remember it did
work for me back then.  The port definitely needs updating, however, I
dont have any (current or outdated) OpenBSD installations around, so
getting into it will probably take me a few days of tinkering which is
just not realistic currently for me.
I am happy to assist anyone though, maybe if you can give me remote
access to a current OpenBSD installation, dont know how much has changed
since obsd3 (which is what I was playing with back then).

> At best, post the debug logs (pass -l debug to brltty) so we can have
> a look at errors messages if any.

Yes, do that.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'