[BRLTTY] Regarding configuring and building brltty from source.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Dec 17 11:06:44 EST 2012

[quoted lines by Anders Holmberg on 2012/12/16 at 15:30 +0100]

>I am a bit confused.
>In the manual its said that you should type:
>./configure
>make install
>This to build the package.
>In the README file i read that you should type:
>./configure
>make
>make install

There's ultimately no difference as doing "make" followed by "make install" is
equivalent to just doing "make install". Make files contain various targets,
each of which has not only a sequence of build commands, but also a set of
other targets it depends on having already been built. The default make target
is "all", so "make" is the same as "make all". The "install" target is
dependent on the "all" target. This dependency ensures that the "all" target
will be built before the "install" target is built.

Now, because I hate lying, I better tell the whole truth. The default target is
only "all" because, by convention, make file writers ensure that it is. The
real default make target is the first target that gets defined. So, good make
file writers ensure that "all" is the first defined target, and that "install"
depends on "all".