[BRLTTY] python bindings on arch linux

timothyhobbs at seznam.cz timothyhobbs at seznam.cz
Sun Feb 12 12:08:39 EST 2012

Hello,

I struggled all day getting python bindings to work on Arch linux.  This is so that I can use brltty with orca.

After installing brltty,
$python2 -c "import brlapi"
was failing.

I eventually figured out that the problem was that the archlinux package was missing a dependency:
pyrex.

Doing
#pacman -S pyrex
before or after installing brltty will fix the problem.

Building from subversion:
Here is a little bit of a build guide.  First a note about arch, since the release of python3, arch has renamed python2 to /usr/bin/python2.  This broke every package that relied on python2.  When we build a package on arch linux which uses python2 we have to specify the path explicitly.

Furthermore, there is a problem with the way the configure script configures java's path.  No one needs java.  So here is how I built brltty:

$PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2 ./configure --disable-java-bindings
$make
$su root
#make install

Now,

$python2 -c "import brlapi"

should not fail.

Grrrr,
one of the most frustrating days I have had in a long long time.

It'll teach me to read the output of configure scripts...

Have a nice day all, and happy hacking!
Timothy Hobbs