[BRLTTY] BrailleNote APEX BT 32

Nicholas Dechman ndechman at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 22:44:39 EST 2012

I have been tasked with connecting a variety of refreshable braille displays to software on Windows machines using a common API set.  BrlAPI was the obvious choice due to its long list of supported devices and straightforward software interface.

I first connected three different Freedom Scientific devices.  These devices work with BrlAPI nicely.

Now I am attempting to connect a BrailleNote APEX BT 32, and I am running into trouble.

I have googled this subject intensely, and I am aware that this particular device gives people fits.  I have also read that you can connect to the device using Cygwin.  Unfortnately, Cygwin is not an option for my client (and for good reason, but I don't need to get into the reason now).

I connected the APEX using the APEX Virtual USB Com Port, and I set the parameters in my BrlTTY.conf file to:

braille-device usb:COM3
braille-driver bn# BrailleNote

When I start BrlTTY, the following is reported in the debug.log file:

brltty.exe: checking braille device: usb:COM3
brltty.exe: checking for braille driver: bn
brltty.exe: initializing braille driver: bn -> usb:COM3
brltty.exe: unsupported device: usb:COM3
brltty.exe: braille driver initialization failed: bn -> usb:COM3
brltty.exe: braille driver not found

Any help getting this to work, without Cygwin, would be greatly appreciated.

-Nick