[BRLTTY] A strange Unicode translation

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 2 21:56:01 EDT 2012

Hi Dave,

To reproduce it, try:

In the Preferences menu:

Text Table=nabcc.ttb
Contraction Table=en-us-g2.ctb

Look at the word:

protégé

In computer braille I see the two accented e's as dots 1268. Turning
on grade 2 I see each e as the two-cell sign 4-15. I'm not saying I
particularly endorse this translation; it comes from 6-dot paper
braille of the 1930s and looks pretty dippy nowadays but it is what
the rules mandate so far. In an ideal world the brltty-ctb
translations would be identical to those produced by turning grade 2
on from the braille display. But instead we get the translation (read
this in computer braille):

prot,,`a7,c7g,,`a7,c7

I suppose my first question is: Is the 8-character series intentional?
My bet is it's just picking up garbage, trying to display executable
code as characters. If so then the garbage may differ from one brltty
build to another.

I just tried changing my brltty-ctb command to specify -ten-nabcc and
by golly it works! So I guess that solves _my_ problem, though
somebody else may stumble across this sometime.

Sorry if I've wasted your time,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll