[BRLTTY] Need a little help

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jul 4 17:11:16 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Chris on 2012/07/04 at 22:43 +0200]

>I read in the dokumentation i should run the service as root.

Yes, brltty should be run as root.

>If i run the service as root, brltty wont read the "startline"

Brltty should always write its startup line. Could you verify that there aren't
several brlttys running at the same time. Only one should be running.

>I activate the keyboardlayout for Laptops in /etc/brltty.conf
>but it seems that the shortcuts will ignored. i try the desktop layout
>too to enter the  prefmenü. nothing happens.
>it just will print caracters like ~ or A B C (for the Fkeys).

Are you, perhaps, pressing one key at a time? When, for example, it says that
you enter the help screen with CapsLock+F1, it means to hold CapsLock while you
press F1.

If you can't get it to work then please post a log file for us to analyze. The
best way to create a log file is to add the following two options:

   -ldebug (the -l is lowercase)
   -L/path/to/logfile (the -L is uppercase)

When you have the log file, just attach it to a message to this list.

>I use fedora 17.

And which release of brltty are you using?

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html