[BRLTTY] RFC: Switching python bindings from pyrex to cython.

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 19 01:43:01 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 09:41:20AM EST, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> I did stumble over cython, which is at least somewhat source compatible with pyrex, and in fact has a lot more functionality. I haven't yet tried building any of brltty's pyrex code with cython yet, so I don't know how much work is required to change to cython, but since cython is much more maintained, and supports python 3, I think its worth discussing the move to cython.

I'm happy to report that cython serves 100% as a drop-in replacement for pyrex. It does throw a few warnings to do with the binding code, but it builds fine at this current time with cython 0.16. Best of all, one can specify the desired python version on the cython command-line, so it will be easy for distros who wish to build both python 2, and python 3 bindings. As a next step, I'll work on a patch to patch to move brltty to cython.

Luke