[BRLTTY] Some problems in the latest brltty code with ubuntu 12.04

Eric Scheibler email at eric-scheibler.de
Sat May 5 07:00:41 EDT 2012

Hello,

I've tried out the latest brltty on ubuntu 12.04 and encountered a few
problems. Some of them may relate to ubuntu and some of them are general
issues.

I've compiled brltty to /opt/brltty and linked the config file, the
config folder and the api key also to /etc. Then I created a link to
/sbin/brltty. On startup brltty 4.4 is loaded but it can't find the
settings so sometimes it starts with the english key table and always
with no speech support.
To get speech work I start the terminal on the graphical desktop and type
sudo killall brlty
sudo /sbin/brltty
then speech starts but my self defined key table is not loaded. Then I
repeat the commands above and it works. If I enter these commands on
tty1 (after logging in) it doesn't work, no speech support although I'am
logged in with the same user account. The brltty init script does not
load anything, maybe the issue can be find there?

The next one is related to the speech support in conjunction with my own
key table.
Warning: maybe the next lines crash your system, so be careful...
I've created the following text file:
Test pass
Password: 3mXMLlnhu1N7xKAO44J7
blabla
and saved it under pwtest.txt
Then I printed it with: cat pwtest.txt
First try: read it with the navigation keys of my braille device without
speech, works
second try: read it with the navigation keys of my braille device with
speech enabled: works too
third try: read it with the navigation function "lnup" from my key
table: system crashes on the password line. Even the graphical desktop
is dead so I must restart my computer. Can anyone reproduce this? I will
attach my key table, maybe it causes the problem.

I found another bug than I read the laptop key table file in vim (just
an example) relatively fast from top to bottom. I used the downarrow key
to move (ca 3 - lines per second). After the half of the document I got
a constant beep from the PC speaker and the system was frozen.

Regards
Eric

------------------------------

kbd-laptop.kbd

# BRLTTY - A background process providing access to the console screen
(when in
#          text mode) for a blind person using a refreshable braille
display.
#
# Copyright (C) 1995-2012 by The BRLTTY Developers.
#
# BRLTTY comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
#
# This is free software, placed under the terms of the
# GNU Lesser General Public License, as published by the Free Software
# Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any
# later version. Please see the file LICENSE-LGPL for details.
#
# Web Page: http://mielke.cc/brltty/
#
# This software is maintained by Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc>.

title Bindings for Keyboards without a Keypad

#bind	CapsLock+!F1			HELP
#bind	CapsLock+ShiftLeft+!F1		LEARN
bind	CapsLock+!R			RESTARTBRL
bind	CapsLock+!D			DESCCHAR
#bind	CapsLock+!ArrowUp		LNUP
#bind	CapsLock+!ArrowDown		LNDN
#bind	CapsLock+!ArrowLeft		CHRLT
#bind	CapsLock+!ArrowRight		CHRRT
#bind	CapsLock+!Home			TOP_LEFT
#bind	CapsLock+!End			BOT_LEFT
#bind	CapsLock+!Enter			CSRTRK
#bind	CapsLock+!O			CSRTRK+off
#bind	CapsLock+!DeleteBackward		BACK

# marks
#bind	CapsLock+!M			SETMARK
#bind	CapsLock+!J			GOTOMARK
bind	CapsLock+ShiftLeft+!1		SETMARK+1
bind	CapsLock+!1			GOTOMARK+1
bind	CapsLock+ShiftLeft+!2		SETMARK+2
bind	CapsLock+!2			GOTOMARK+2
bind	CapsLock+ShiftLeft+!3		SETMARK+3
bind	CapsLock+!3			GOTOMARK+3
bind	CapsLock+ShiftLeft+!4		SETMARK+4
bind	CapsLock+!4			GOTOMARK+4

# cut and paste
bind	CapsLock+!X			CLIP_NEW
bind	CapsLock+!C			COPY_RECT
bind	CapsLock+!V			PASTE

# speech
#bind	!ControlLeft			MUTE
bind	!ControlRight			MUTE
#bind	CapsLock+!PageUp			SAY_ABOVE
#bind	CapsLock+!Space			SAY_LINE
#bind	CapsLock+!PageDown		SAY_BELOW
#bind	CapsLock+!F5			SAY_SLOWER
#bind	CapsLock+!F6			SAY_FASTER
#bind	CapsLock+!F7			SAY_SOFTER
#bind	CapsLock+!F8			SAY_LOUDER
#bind	CapsLock+!F9			AUTOSPEAK

# my own
bind	ShiftRight+!ArrowLeft		SPEAK_PREV_WORD
bind	ShiftRight+!ArrowRight	SPEAK_NEXT_WORD
bind	ShiftRight+!ArrowUp		LNUP
bind	ShiftRight+!ArrowDown		LNDN
bind ControlRight+!ArrowLeft	SPEAK_FRST_CHAR
bind ControlRight+!ArrowRight	SPEAK_LAST_CHAR
bind ControlRight+!ArrowUp		TOP_LEFT
bind ControlRight+!ArrowDown	BOT_LEFT
bind ControlRight+!ShiftRight	ROUTE_LOCATION
bind ControlRight+!Enter			SPEAK_LOCATION