[BRLTTY] test result, was re: brltty 4.3 and papenmeier

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Sun May 13 21:14:00 EDT 2012

On Wed, 9 May 2012, Dave Mielke wrote:

> Meanwhile, of course, I'd appreciate it if all users could start to test this
> code out as much as possible - starting right now.

This is really good stuff!

A couple comments on the new menu and speech support:

If "Speak Inserted Characters" is "Yes" and "Speak Completed Words" is
"Yes" then the later should be effective only for words that are more
than one character long.  Suffice to type a series of "o o o o o o o o"
to notice the confusion with the current behavior.

If I set "Show All Items" to "Yes" and then go modify some speech
options that aren't there otherwise (no driver support for pitch or
volume for example), then BRLTTY hangs.  Despite this hang which should
be fixed, I think that those displayed items that aren't active could be
displayed in parenthesis without any actual value to make it clearer
they're not effective, just like grayed items in GUI menus.

The "Raise Pitch" option for the "Uppercase Indicator" item is presented
even if speech driver has not pitch support and "Show All Items" is
"No".

Having an option to select whether or not space characters are spoken
would be nice (they were not before but now they are all the time).  I
would even make it selectable separately for the vertical and horizontal
cursor movements, so that e.g. moving up and down could say the line
content or "space" if the whole line is empty, but moving the cursor
horizontally wouldn't say anything on spaces.

When "Show All Items" is "No" the "Show Submenu Sizes" results are
questionable.  The "Speech" menu indicates 17 items but only 10 are
visible in my case.  This is even worse for "Status Cells" which
indicates 12 but I have only one item there.  Maybe displaying (10/17)
and (1/12) would be clearer in that case.  When "Show All Items" is
"Yes" then things make sense as they are i.e. no fractional display is
fine.

The SAY_BELOW command reads out all menu items, and the braille window
displays them along if set to track speech position, even if "Show All
Items" is "No" and those items are not reachable with movement keys.

The CHRLT and CHRLT commands don't work in menus while SETLEFT does.

Autospeak doesn't work with Learn Mode.

I think having the TOP_LEFT command exit a submenu could be nice,
regardless of the highlighted item.

There is a strange speech stutter when scrolling down in the "Menu
Options" menu.  With auto-speak active, the synthesizer would say "Save
on Exit: Yes", then "Show All Items: No", and then "Show Show Submenu
Sizes: Yes".  On the third item, the word "show" would be pronounced
twice.  And the weirdest thing is that this happens only once after
starting BRLTTY and then it won't happen again, unless I kill and
restart BRLTTY.

OK, enough for now.  :-)

Nicolas