[BRLTTY] test result, was re: brltty 4.3 and papenmeier

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Mon May 14 10:38:15 EDT 2012

On Sun, 13 May 2012, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2012/05/13 at 21:14 -0400]
>
> >When "Show All Items" is "No" the "Show Submenu Sizes" results are
> >questionable.  The "Speech" menu indicates 17 items but only 10 are
> >visible in my case.  This is even worse for "Status Cells" which
> >indicates 12 but I have only one item there.  Maybe displaying (10/17)
> >and (1/12) would be clearer in that case.  When "Show All Items" is
> >"Yes" then things make sense as they are i.e. no fractional display is
> >fine.
>
> Fixed. The fractional display is shown in both cases. Is that okay or, if it's
> yes, should just the single number be shown?

I think the single number would be cleaner in that case, as well as an
indication that "Show All Items" is active.

> >I think having the TOP_LEFT command exit a submenu could be nice,
> >regardless of the highlighted item.
>
> The problem here is that some displays just have TOP_LEFT/BOT_LEFT or just have
> TOP/BOT, and, of those, especially the older drivers, some don't have
> menu-specific bindings. For this reason, it's probably better to leave TOP_LEFT
> as go to first item.

On the other hand, I would expect leaving the submenu to be a more
useful action than simply going to the top item, even on those old
displays with limited bindings.  Re-intering the submenu puts you on the
top item again.

> We could, though, introduce a menu-specific command for
> leaving a submenu and then create a menu-specific binding to it for those
> displays where it makes sense.

Sure.  I don't think this is in conflict with the suggestion above
though.

> >There is a strange speech stutter when scrolling down in the "Menu
> >Options" menu.  With auto-speak active, the synthesizer would say "Save
> >on Exit: Yes", then "Show All Items: No", and then "Show Show Submenu
> >Sizes: Yes".  On the third item, the word "show" would be pronounced
> >twice.  And the weirdest thing is that this happens only once after
> >starting BRLTTY and then it won't happen again, unless I kill and
> >restart BRLTTY.
>
> I can't reproduce this one.

Is there  a log for tracing speech events?

Nicolas