[BRLTTY] Key binding collisions with Orca.

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Thu May 24 14:48:15 EDT 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2012/05/24 at 13:56 -0400]
>
> >Now something else is weird.  When in the help screen, if the
> >preferences menu is invoked, the message "Preferences Menu" is displayed
> >for a few seconds and the help screen content is back.  Invoking the
> >menu again produces the same thing.  When leaving all the help screens
> >then the menu is visible, regardless the number of times I activated the
> >menu binding previously.  I think the best behavior here would be to
> >discard the help screen when the menu is invoked.
>
> Fixed. Alternate invocations of PREFMENU enable/disable the menu, and the
> message is only displayed if the menu is the foreground screen.

OK, although the result is even less intuitive now.

What about bringing the menu to the foreground whenever it is invoked?

In fact, some of the screens are a bit too "sticky".  I would think that:

- Invoking the menu should always bring the menu to the foreground.

- Invoking the help screen should always bring it to the foreground.

- Switching the virtual console should always bring the normal screen to
  the foreground.

- Exiting from either the menu or the help mode should return to the
  normal screen, regardless of the mode that was previously active when
  the help or menu was invoked.

- Switching to or back from the menu or help should automatically
  disable info mode.

That, I think, would improve usability.  What do you think?

Nicolas