[BRLTTY] SPEAK*

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu May 31 17:44:48 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2012/05/31 at 23:29 +0200]

>I've noticed that there's a difference between LNUP and SPEAK_PREV_LINE (the
>same for LNDN and SPEAK_NEXT_LINE). Is this necessary? Using SPEAK_*_LINE has
>the disadvantage for me that even with autospeak set to no, BRLTTY starts
>speaking when navigating on the screen.
>The same is true for SPEAK_FRST_LINE and the opposite command, there are already
>functions which do work great with the new speech capabilities and respect
>autospeak.
>
>I of course don't think that the commands for speaking previous/next
>character/word should be removed, but those mentioned above (they do not add new
>functionality). Or am I overlooking something?
>Anyway, would it make sense for all commands to respect the autospeak setting?

Here's my reasoning for why we have what appear to be duplicate commands, and
for why they don't honour the AUTOSPEAK setting:

The new commands are specifically for speech navigation. As such, I believe
they should speak. I don't see anything auto about them. Users who wish to
navigate via braille and have the autospeak setting respected can use the
braille navigation commands.

There are no duplicate commands. The speech commands move the speech cursor.
They don't move the braille display. As such, they actually offer additional
flexibility to users who have speech capability. I myself am not even close to
being a speech user, yet I actually do find myself using the speech navigation
functions on occasion, e.g. to verify a number when accuracy is essential.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html