[BRLTTY] Contraction error and patch: Betther

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 16 11:29:01 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

Not only does this fix a non-word but I have no supporting examples. So this
is just Lee's opinion. It may not be worth more than you paid for it but at
least it isn't worth less. :-)

In Irish brogue the word "better" tends to have an h inserted: betther. I
believe this should use the the sign--I would not use the be sign, th sign
or er sign. Though it's not a word it's rather common as dialect expressions
go.

I came across this in Penelope's Irish Experiences by Kate Douglas Wiggin,
where she quotes the following poem:

Sure a terrible time I was out o' the way,
  Over the sea, over the sea,
Till I come to Ireland one sunny day,-
  Betther for me, betther for me:
The first time me fut got the feel o' the ground
  I was strollin' along in an Irish city
That hasn't its aquil the world around
  For the air that is sweet an' the girls that are pretty.
     --Moira O'Neill

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to
others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you
had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll