[BRLTTY] Recommended live distribution

Klaus Knopper brltty at knopper.net
Wed Sep 19 09:21:40 EDT 2012

Hello David,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 02:25:52PM +0200, David Renström wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good Linux live distribution, i.e.
> that can be booted from a CD/DVD or a USB flash drive, which has braille
> support (BRLTTY) available from start. I used to use Knoppix and enter
> "knoppix blind brltty=ht,usb:" at boot time, but this doesn't work in the
> newer versions. If someone has got any idea how I can continue to use
> Knoppix, I would of course be grateful too.

Have you tried the ADRIANE edition of Knoppix, which is specially
designed for blind computer beginners? It uses sbl instead of brltty,
which supports program-specific profiles, attribute cursor routing and
has certain features such as advanced keyboard navigation which are
AFAIK still missing in brltty. If you don't like the "text-gui" that
ADRIANE offers, you can as well work with the shell.

http://knopper.net/knoppix-adriane

If you really want to use brltty instead of sbl, you can easily
customize a harddisk-installed or flash-installed version of Knoppix and
start brltty in /etc/rc.local with appropriate options.

Regards
-Klaus